History

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Figure 26:    The Marshall Foundry on the northwest corner of Congress and Fifteenth Streets, January of 1891 (Courtesy of the Shepard Collection of Troy Advertising Photographs, Troy Public Library, Special Collections). 

Figure 27:  Prospect Park Lookout, about 1905.  The view from the red cedar Adirondack style tower was in excess of thirty miles.  The lookout itself was a natural rendezvous point and the subject of at least fifteen different early twentieth-century postcards (Courtesy of the Rensselaer County Historical Society).

Figure 28:  Detail of the 1936 St. Francis de Sales First Communion class.  May 10th was Mother’s Day.  The group consisted of 241 members, including several adults.  The first St. Francis church was a brick structure built in 1863 on Fourteenth Street between Marshall and Christie Streets.  The present church was erected in 1882, and re-named St. Francis de Sales in honor of the patron saint of Bishop Francis McNeirny of Albany.  The academy, staffed by

the Sisters of St. Joseph, opened on the north side of Congress Street in 1919.  The early congregations of both the Free Church of the Ascension and the Mount Ida Baptist Churches met for a while in buildings that once occupied this site at 322 and 324 Congress respectively (Courtesy of St. Francis de Sales Parish Archives).
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14