History

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Figure 29:  Image of the Poesten Kill Gorge, 1950s.  The steeples of the Free Church of the Ascension (right) and the Farnam Institute (left) frame a three-story apartment building that was once home to the Franklin W. Farnam Steam Engine Company, Number 5.  The firehouse was converted to apartments in the 1910s and the concrete addition was built behind it in the 1920s.  The addition began to crumble in the 1950s from the heavy effects of erosion, and it was removed in the 1960s.  The apartment building itself burned to the ground in 1970.  Its footprint is still present on the site (Courtesy of the Rensselaer County Historical Society).

Figure 30:  View east on Congress Street, 1926.  This photograph was taken from approximately 162 Congress, near the junction of Seventh Street.  The numerous wooden structures in the photograph are indicative of the parameters of the great fire of 1862, which consumed almost all the framed structures west and north of this point.  The urban renewal movement of the 1960s claimed all the buildings on the right side of the picture and all but a few of the homes at the extreme limits of the vista (Courtesy of the Schenectady Museum—General Electric Collection).

 

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14