History

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Figure 31:  (l to r) 344, 342 and 340 Congress Street in the late 1970s.  The marquee on 342 Congress shows vestiges of a neon sign that advertised Yasier’s Self-Service Grocery, the business that occupied the first floor from the mid-1940s through the early 1970s.  Remnants of the neon system perhaps remain behind the current metal face.  The menu above the counter of Sorriento’s Pizza and Torpedoes at 340 Congress indicates that one could purchase a large pizza with anchovies for $3.15.  Only 344 Congress, Walsh’s News at the time of this photograph, has been converted to a fully residential building (Courtesy of Thomas Phelan Research Papers, Institute Archives and Special Collections, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute).   

Figure 32:  Armature of a defunct electric generator on the grounds of the abandoned Manning Paper Company, November 1974.  The remains of the accompanying turbine are in the background.  The Manning Mount Ida Mill generated at least a portion of its own energy on the Poesten Kill from the company’s foundation in 1850 until its departure for Green Island in 1962.  This is a scene from the old Building #11 plant (Courtesy of Thomas Phelan Research Papers, Institute Archives and Special Collections, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14