History

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Figure 5:  The “public circle” on the south side of Congress at Fifteenth Street, about 1870 (looking south).  Small, circular public parks like the one above appeared throughout Troy in the 1840s, the earliest one along River Street near Washington Square and the site of today’s city hall.  They served as popular meeting points.  The buildings in the picture belonged to the Marshall Company, and the dirt roads on the far side of the circle provided access to Cypress Street on the west side of the complex.  The area’s first cemetery is visible through the trees in the upper right portion of the image (Courtesy of the Rensselaer County Historical Society).

Figure 6:  Detail of a late-1970s photograph of the 1835 Greek Revival worker’s cottage at 541 Congress Street.  Only three separate families owned the house between 1835 and 2006.  The house retains many of its original architectural elements, including much of the interior hardware and moulding and almost all the exterior clapboard.  There is no clear physical evidence that the house ever had a fourth column (Courtesy of the Thomas Phelan Research Papers, Institute Archives and Special Collections, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute).

 

 

 

 

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14