History

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Figure 12:  Student Survey crew from the Civil Engineering program of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, foot of Ida Falls, spring 1888.  In the foreground is the class of 1888, which was responsible for line surveying the project area.  Behind the seniors stands the class of 1889, juniors responsible for both topographical and hydrological surveying.  The Poesten Kill Gorge was a popular recreational destination for students, especially as the Institute itself began to relocate further up Mount Ida.  The extensive surveying requirement was discontinued as a part of the program by 1957 (Courtesy of the Institute Archives and Special Collections, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute).

Figure 13:  A scene along the Poesten Kill about 1880, at the peak of the area’s industrial force.  More than seventeen mills and factories occupied the creek between Ida Falls and the Hudson River.  The building in the forefront belonged to the Griswold Brothers Wire Works.  A small area of the foundation remains on the banks of the creek today (Courtesy of the Rensselaer County Historical Society).

Figure 14:  The original 1840 building of the Marshall Mills with its famed cupola.  The structure lived through many incarnations, spending its last days as the Wul-Tex Clothing factory until the early 1980s.  The section of the building marked “Trojan Cloth Mfg. Co.” was a late nineteenth-century addition that sat almost directly upon the site of the public circle depicted in Figure 5 (Courtesy of the Rensselaer County Historical Society).
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14